Northeast Polder Noordoostpolder
The Noordoostpolder is an area of 47,600 hectares/119,000 acres of fens reclaimed from the IJsselmeer between 1937 and 1942. Now a peninsula projecting into the IJsselmeer from the east, it has been since 1986 part of the new province of Flevoland. On the south the polder is separated from the neighboring Flevopolder and from the mainland by the narrow Ketelmeer; in the north it reaches up to the little town of Lemmer; and on the east it is bounded by a narrow strip of sandy heathland, up to 5m/16ft above sea level, running from north- west to southeast.This expanse of fertile fens, lying between 4.5m/15ft and 5.7m/19ft below sea level, is drained by a complicated system of canals, sluices pumping stations. From Emmeloord, in the center of the polder, three drainage canals run north to Lemmer, southwest to the former island of Urk and south-east to Vollenhove, where the pumping stations and sluices are located.The new land on the polder is divided into 1600 holdings ranging in size between 12 and 48 hectares (30 and 120 acres). The principal crops are sugar-beet, corn, rape, flax and pulses, with flowers, fruit and vegetables in the southeast.
Kampen to Lemmer
Leave Kampen on the Sneek road, crossing the IJssel and continuing on its right bank (fine views of Kampen to rear) alongside a broad canal. Some 8km/5mi from Kampen the road crosses a long bascule bridge over the Ramsdiep, an inlet on the IJsselmeer at the mouth of the Zwarte Water.
From Ramsdiep the road continues over the Northeast Polder and comes in 3km/2mi to Ens, a trim polder village, where a road goes off on the left to the new settlement of Schokland (3km/2mi west), on the site of a former island in the Zuiderzee. The road passes (200m/220yd off on the left) an old church set in a clump of trees, now a museum with an interesting collection of prehistoric material found during the draining of the Zuiderzee. About 13km/8mi farther west, on the shores of the IJsselmeer, is the little fishing port of Urk, formerly an island, which has preserved its traditional character (picturesque costumes).
Situated 9km/6mi beyond Ens on the Sneek road is a bascule bridge over the Urkervaart, just beyond which is a road junction. To the right is a road to Steenwijk (26km/16mi), to the left a road to Urk. A mere 1km/.75mile along this road is Emmeloord, the new chief town of the polder.There is a watertower in the centre of Emmeloord that was completed in 1959 and has a large carillon with 48 bells.
From the road junction the Sneek road continues north along the Lemstervaart (canal) and then follows a winding course to an inlet of the IJsselmeer. In 15km/9mi it reaches Lemmer, a little port on the IJsselmeer which handles a good deal of inland shipping traffic.Lemmer is a popular destination for water sports enthusiasts.