The surroundings of Turku include St Karin's Church, the islands of Kirjala and Kusto.
St Karin's Church
2km/1.25mi northeast of Cathedral Square (along Hämeenkatu, then beyond the railroad turn left into Kirkkotie) is the little 14th century church of St Karin (Kaarinankirkko). In the churchyard can be seen the grave of the legal scholar Mathias Calonius (1738-1817), first governor of Finland after its annexation by Russia, who insisted that the country's old laws should be maintained.
St Mary's Church
3km/2mi northeast of Turku station on the Tampere road (Tampereentie) is St Mary's Church (Maariankirkko), a well-preserved 14th century church of undressed stone. Nearby, at the village of Räntämäki, are the remains of the first Christian church in Finland, believed to have been built in 1161.
Southwest of Turku, off the mouth of the Aurajoki, lies the island of Ruissalo, which is linked with the mainland by a bridge. Here there is a large recreation area, with a camping site, a golf course, minigolf and facilities for riding and water-skiing. In August every year a rock festival, Ruisrock, is held here. On the island is a spring with an inscription commemorating the Swedish writer M. Choräus (1774-1806), who lived on Ruissalo for some time. On the south coast is a swimming station. The shores of the island are lined with handsome villas (mostly timber-built) dating from the turn of the century. In the center of the island is the Villa Roma (art exhibitions; artists' studios).
On the coast 17km/10mi west of Turku is the charming little town of Naantali (Swedish Nådendal; pop. 12,500), a popular seaside resort. The town grew up around a Brigittine convent founded in 1443. The old church, situated on the coast north of the town, has a number of monuments and a 15th century altar from Danzig. Near the church can be seen a stone commemorating Jöns Budde (d. 1491), the earliest identifiable Finnish writer, who was a monk in Naantali.Naantali is also known for the beautiful scenery, archipelago and Moomin World theme park.
Naantali Musical Festival
Naantali Musical Festival is in June.This annual two-week festival is one of the biggest in Finland. It attracts 10,000 visitors each summer. The main concert venue for the two-week festival is the Naantali 15th century abbey.Artists invited to perform at the festival come from all over Europe and are considered to be the top in their class. Among the daily events are chamber and vocal concerts, and organ and piano recitals.
Naantali Sleepy-Head Carnival is in July.This local tradition features an outdoor festival that lasts for several days. Every year, a well-known and respected person is chosen to take a cool plunge at the marina to dispel their morning sleepiness.
The Moomin World is a family-oriented theme park containing Moomin Valley, Emma Summer Theater, House of Surprises, Amazing Museum and Adventure Island of Väski.
Address: Mannerheiminkatu 21, Box 48, SF-21101 Naantali, Finland
Opening hours: Jun 8 to Aug 15: 10am-6pm
Aug 16 to Aug 29: 12pm-6pm
Aug 16 to Aug 29: 12pm-6pm
Entrance fee in EUR: €20.00, Child 3 & under FREE
Useful tips: Depending on which attractions one wishes to see, prices range from 16 to 25 Euros per person.
Facilities: Gift shop, Restaurant or food service
Proclamation of the Christmas Peace
Proclamation of the Christmas peace at 12 noon from Town Hall balcony on Dec. 24.
Luonnonmaa - Kultaranta Castle
On the island of Luonnonmaa to the west of Naantali, which is linked with the mainland by the Ukko-Pekka Bridge, stands Kultaranta Castle, the summer residence of the President of Finland.
Museum of History and Archaeology and Museum of Contemporary Art
Museum of Archaeology and History Aboa Vetus is built around an excavated medieval city block. The arched cellars and cobblestone streets had been buried underground centuries ago, without trace.Museum of Contemporary Art Ars Nova, means New Art and, as its name implies, exhibits the art of our times. The Matti Koivurinta Foundation's own collections showcase the works of top 20th century Finnish and foreign artists, from Leena Luostarinen to Picasso.
Address: Itäinen Rantakatu 4-6, SF-20700 Turku, Finland
Opening hours: Jan 6 to Mar 29: 11am-7pm; Closed: Mon
Mar 31 to Sep 6: 11am-7pm
Sep 8 to Dec 20: 11am-7pm; Closed: Mon
Mar 31 to Sep 6: 11am-7pm
Sep 8 to Dec 20: 11am-7pm; Closed: Mon
Always opened on: Day after Christmas, St Stephen's Day, Boxing Day (Dec 26)
Always closed on: New Year's Day (Jan 1), Christmas - Christian (Dec 25), Christmas Eve - Christian (Dec 24)
Entrance fee in EUR: Family €22.00, Adult €8.00, Students €7.00, Group discounts €7.00, Senior €7.00, Child 15 & under €5.50, Child 6 & under FREE
Useful tips: Museums closed June 18 at 4:00 p.m. to June 21. Tickets to Aboa Vetus and Ars Nova are sold seperately, however there is a reduced rate for both museums.
Guides: Guided tour available as optional extra.
Brinkhall Manor is a group of Neo-Classical buildings that were completed in 1793. They are located on the Island of Kakskerta. The gardens and park surrounding Brinkhall Manor are 300 years old and feature a Fruit and English garden.
Turku to Parainen
Leave Turku on Road 1 and in 9km/5.5mi, at Kaarina, turn right into Road 180, which runs south over the Pohjoissalmi (North Sound) on to the island of Kuusisto (Swedish Kustö). Just beyond the bridge a road branches off on the left to the ruins of Kuusisto Castle, at the east end of the island. Founded in 1317, it belonged to the Bishops of Finland and was demolished in 1528, after the Reformation.
Rävsund - Kirjala
From Kuusisto a 300m/330yd long suspension bridge (1963) crosses the Rävsund to the island of Kirjala, where a road goes off on the left to the well-preserved 15th century castle of Kvidja, 7km/4.5mi southeast on the north side of the island of Lemlahti, which once belonged to Bishop Magnus Tavast.
2km/1.25mi beyond the turning for Kvidja the road crosses the Hässund and comes in another 4km/2.5mi to Parainen (Swedish Pargas), a town noted for its limestone quarries (cement factories). It has an old stone church with a beautiful interior and a few straw bale cabins that were completed in 1997.
16km/10mi southwest of Parainen (leaving on the road to the Airisto Hotel) is the little port of Lillmälö, from which the route continues on a ferry (free) and then a country road running southwest by way of the Nagu Islands to the island of Korpo, lying far out to sea (35km/22mi to Korpo church, which contains some old wood sculptures).
Turku to Uusikaupunki
Leave Turku on Road 8, which leads via Raisio and Mynämäki to Laitila, from which Road 198 continues 19km/12mi southwest to the port and commercial town (granite industry) of Uusikaupunki (Swedish Nystad; pop. 17,600) on the Gulf of Bothnia. The town was founded in 1616, during the reign of Gustavus Adolphus. Here in August 1721 was signed the treaty of Nystad which ended the Northern War, giving Russia possession of Ingermanland, Estonia, Livonia and part of Karelia; monument (1961) in the Market Square. In Town Hall Square is the new church (1863). The old church (1629) now houses a museum of cultural history.
Uusikaupunki Cresell Week
Woodwind Festival is held in July or August.The Cresell Week is held in late July to early August and features various concerts, all dedicated to woodwind instruments.The Nordic - Baltic clarinet competition is held within the festival.British and Finnish groups also take part in the festival and many musicians take part within a main orchestra that is highlighted during the week.
Sundholm Manor House
From Uusikaupunki there are attractive boat trips to the offshore islands. To the south of the town is the old manor house of Sundholm. A country road runs north to Pyhäranta, from which Road 8 continues to Rauma.
Seven Churches Route
Raisio (Masku, Nousiainen)
An attractive round trip which takes in seven old churches:Leave Turku on Road 8. 7km/4.5mi from the city center, and just before the turning for Naantali, the stone church of Raisio (14th century) is seen on the left. 10km/6mi farther on is the little stone church of Masku. To the southwest is Kankainen Castle. 4.5km/3mi beyond Masku is Nousiainen. In its 13th century stone church (3.5km/2mi northeast, off the main road) can be seen the tomb of St Henry (Henrik), an English missionary who spread the Christian faith in Finland and is venerated as the country's patron saint.
The route from Turku continues on a country road which branches off Road 8 on the left, heading for Askainen. In 7.5km/4.5mi it comes to Nyynäinen, 1.5km/1mi southwest of which is the church of Lemu. Askainen, 8km/5mi beyond Nyynäinen, has an old stone church. 2km/1.25mi west, on the coast, is the manor house of Luohisaari (1655), birthplace of Marshal Mannerheim.
From Askainen the route runs south, crossing by ferry on to a much-indented island at the north end of which is Merimasku (11km/7mi from Askainen), with a wooden church of 1726. 4km/2.5mi beyond Merimasku we reach a road junction, from which it is 15km/9mi straight ahead to the 15th century church of Rymättylä (wall paintings). The road to the left is the return route to Turku: 1.5m/1mi beyond the junction a bridge leads to the island of Luonnonmaa, on which the road runs along the east coast, passing close to Kultaranta Castle; then over the Ukko-Pekka bridge, on to Naantali (6km/4mi) and from there via Raisio to Turku (17.5km/11mi).