Frederikshavn Tourist Attractions
JutlandFrederikshavn, the largest town north of the Limfjord, lies on the east coast of northern Jutland. From the fortified natural harbor ferries sail to Gothenburg in Sweden, Larvik, Moss and Oslo in Norway and to the Danish island of Læso. There are also yacht basins.HistoryWhere the present town now stands was in medieval times the site of the fishing settlement of "Fladstrand". When, during the Thirty Years War, a defense entrenchment was built here the place gained in military importance. A fortifications expert erected a powder-tower surrounded by a wall. In 1818 Fladstrand received its municipal charter and was named Frederikshavn, after Frederik VI. In the 19th C. the citadel, apart from a few buildings, was pulled down. The town is proud of its pedestrian area.EconomyFishing (flounders, oysters) and fish-processing are important branches of the town's economy, together with such industries as shipbuilding, engineering and iron-founding.
Powder Tower Museum
Frederkikshavn - Fiskerklyngen
The oldest part of Frederikshavn, Fiskerklyngen, lies to the north of the fishing harbor and here can be seen a number of well-preserved 17th C. houses. Note also the North Entrenchments (Nordre Skanse), which were built by Wallenstein's troops during the Thirty Years War.
Fladstrand Church (Fladstrand Kirke), dating from 1690, has been renovated several times. In the cemetery will be found the graves of German and British soldiers killed in the Second World War.
Sognefogedgården, on the western edge of Frederikshavn, is worth a visit; in the "Schulzenhof" (18th C.) the kitchen, dairy, alcoves, stable and workshop have been retained in their original form.
4 km/2.5mi to the southwest of Frederikshavn, at an altitude of 165m/540ft above sea level, stands a 58m/190ft high observation tower, Cloos Tower (Cloostårnet), from which there are extensive views of the Vendsyssel countryside and the sea. Close by, in Gærumvej, are Iron Age Cellars (Jernalderkældrene), with Early Iron Age material found in the locality.
Bangsbo Manor and Museum
3 km/2mi southwest of Frederikshavn along Mollehus Allé, set in 50 ha/124 acres of woodland, lies Bangsbo Manor (1750), a three-winged half-timbered building which is now a museum. In the maritime section can be seen a collection of galleon figureheads and models and paintings of ships. Most impressive is the "Ellingåschiff", a former trading ship similar to Viking ships.In addition, this museum is the largest Resistance Museum outside Copenhagen, with exhibits covering the period of German occupation 1940-45.Near the museum are a zoo and "Boolsen's Stone Garden", a collection of more than 1,000 stones with carvings or inscriptions (millstones, baptismal fonts and boundary stones), the oldest dating from prehistoric times.From the Pikkerbakken, a range of low hills to the south of Bangsbo Manor, there are magnificent views of Frederikshavn, the countryside beyond and the sea.
Address: Dronning Margrethes Vej 1, DK-9900 Frederikshavn, Denmark
12 km/7.5 mi south of Frederikshavn on the E45 and A10 lies the fishing port and seaside resort of Sæby. Near the beach stands the whitewashed St Mary's Church, which originally belonged to a monastery (ca. 1460) which no longer exists. The church, with its four groin vaults, is famous for its rich 16th century frescoes showing scenes from the life of Jesus, the Adoration of the Magi, the Entry into Jerusalem and the Last Judgment, as well as coats-of-arms of noble families. The Dutch altar table dates from 1520. On the walls are numerous epitaphs from different centuries.
This Renaissance castle was from 1586, the collections include art and porcelain. It is one of Denmark`s most beautiful buildings from the renaissance age. The castle has a vast collection of European Art.
Address: Voergård 6, DK-9330 Saeby, Denmark
More on PlanetWare