Central Area, Cork
The following circuit through the central area will allow a visitor to see many of Cork's features of interest. From St Patrick's Bridge, spanning the North Channel, Merchants' Quay and its continuation Anderson's Quay run east to the tip of the island, on which is the Custom House. Then along Lapp's Quay, on the South Channel, to Parnell Bridge, from which the city's principal commercial street, South Mall, continues west into the spacious Grand Parade. At the point where this joins the narrower Corn Market Street turn right into St Patrick's Street which leads back in a wide curve to St Patrick's Bridge.
Cork City Hall
From Lapp's Quay in Cork's central area there is a good view of City Hall, which has an assembly hall seating 2,000, and its reflection in the sluggishly flowing river.
Father Matthew Memorial Church
Turning left off South Mall at the City Hall in Cork's Central Area and following the bank of the South Channel, which here describes a sharp bend, we come to the Father Matthew Memorial Church (Holy Trinity Church, 1825), a neo-Gothic building designed by G. R. Pain. It commemorates the "Apostle of Temperance," Father Matthew (1790-1861), who preached the unpopular doctrine of abstinence and "made an idea into a crusade."
Red Abbey Tower
At Parliament Bridge in Cork's central area we come to South Mall, which has a number of buildings of the first half of the 19th C. To the south of the bridge, enclosed by later buildings in Abbey Street, is the Red Abbey Tower, one of the few relics of medieval monastic houses in Cork.
St Finbarr's Church
Near the Red Abbey Tower in Cork's central area is St Finbarr's Church, also known as the South Chapel. Built in 1766, it has late 18th C. furnishings, including a figure of the dead Christ by Hogan.
St Finbarr's Cathedral
On Bishop's Street in Cork's central area can be seen the prominent spires of St Finbarr's Cathedral. The cathedral (1865-80), in French Early Gothic style, is richly decorated and furnished, with fine mosaics in the choir. Its eight bells, cast by Abel Rudhall of Gloucester, are from an earlier church of 1750 on the same site.
At the corner of South Mall and Grand Parade in Cork's central area we come to the Cork Lending Library, with the Tourist Information Center in Tourist House almost opposite it. In Grand Parade are a monument to Irish patriots of 1798-1867 and the Berwick Fountain.
Holy Trinity Church
To the left of Grand Parade in Cork's central area stands Holy Trinity Church, also known as Christ Church (by Coltsman, 1720); it contains some relics of an earlier church, including the mid-16th C. tomb of Mayor Ronan and his wife.
Two streets up from the Holy Trinity Church in Cork's central area, on the north side of Washington Street, is the Court House (1832), with a handsome portico.
Map of Cork Attractions