Northern Inner City, Copenhagen
The northern inner city of Copenhagen features the Amalienborg Palace, the Museum of Applied Art and The Little Mermaid statue.
Charlottenburg Palace, on the east side of Kongens Nytorv, has been the home of the Royal Academy of Art since 1754. To the rear of the palace lies Nyhavn (New Harbor), which is flanked by a street of the same name. At the end of the harbor can be seen an anchor, placed there as a memorial to Danish sailors who lost their lives in the Second World War. Nyhavn was once a disreputable quarter of the city but now, with its brightly painted little gabled houses many of which contain restaurants or cafes, it is a very charming part of Copenhagen. Idyllic museum ships lie at anchor, including a lightship (Fyrskib) dating from 1885.From Nyhavn there are hydrofoil and catamaran services to Sweden, as well as sightseeing trips round the harbor and along the canal.
Bredgade leads northwards from the upper end of Nyhavn to the Marble Church, the building of which began in 1749 but was not completed until 1894. It is also known as Frederik's Church, because it was intended to be the main church in the Frederiksstad district of Copenhagen. Features of the interior include an ivory Crucifix, an oak carving of the Descent from the Cross and Grundtvig's seven-branched golden candelabrum. The church has a dome 84m/275ft high and the facade is decorated with statues of great figures in ecclesiastical history, including St Ansgar, the Apostle of the North, and the religious reformer Grundtvig.
Address: Frederiksgade 4, DK-1265 Copenhagen, Denmark
Museum of Applied Art
A Roccoco building near St Ansgar's Church, built in the 18th C. by Niels Eigtved and Lauritz de Thurah, houses the Museum of Applied Art (Kunstindustrimuseet) in Copenhagen. The museum was founded in 1890 by the Ny Carlsberg Foundation and has been here since 1926. The collections comprise European applied art from the Middle Ages to the present day, together with objects from China and Japan. The emphasis is on domestic furnishings and household items - carpets, porcelain, ceramics, Danish silver, glass, textiles and jewellery; modern Danish design is also represented.The house also has a garden which is open to visitors and has some notable sculptures, including "The Sea-horse" by Niels Skovgaard.Bredgade leads into the esplanade to the north; on the left is the sailors' home, the Nyboder, built in the 17th and 18th C.
Address: Bredgade 68, DK-1260 Copenhagen, Denmark
Medical History Museum
This museum focuses on the history of medical science.
Address: Fredericiagade 18, DK-1260 Copenhagen, Denmark
In Churchill Park near Copenhagen's Esplanade will be found the Freedom Museum (Frihedsmuseet), designed by the architect Hans Hansen. It contains documents relating to the Danish resistance against the Nazis from 1940 to 1945, including photographs, newspaper articles, letters, etc. Close by stands St Alban's Church, the Anglican church of the British colony in Copenhagen. Next to the church is a large fountain, the Gefion Springvandet, erected in 1908; according to legend the goddess Gefion with her oxen ploughed the island of Zealand out of Swedish soil.
Address: Churchillparken, DK-1263 Copenhagen, Denmark
Langelinie, the landing place for a promenade along the shore of Copenhagen, starts at the Gefion Fountain. From here the visitor will arrive at the Kastellet, the former Citadel of Frederikshavn, the oldest parts of which date from 1625. When, in 1658, Denmark lost her possessions on the eastern side of the Øresund, Copenhagen found itself a frontier town and so its defenses were strengthened accordingly. The buildings within the Citadel are well maintained and include two gates, the Zealand Gate and the Norwegian Gate.
Address: Langelinie, Denmark
The Little Mermaid
From the Citadel of Frederikshavn in Copenhagen it is a short distance to the "Little Mermaid" ("Den lille Havfrue") on the Langelinie; it is the official emblem of Copenhagen. The bronze sculpture was created by Edward Eriksen in 1913, based on a theme from one of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales. The story says that the little mermaid once came up out of the depths of the sea because she had fallen in love with a prince but, as the prince did not return her love, she was forced to leave the world of humans and return whence she had come. When, in April 1964, its head was sawn off by some unknown perpetrator the whole of Copenhagen was outraged. Fortunately the moulds used in 1913 had been preserved, so it was possible to give the mermaid a new head.
Going west from Kastellet, the former citadel of Frederikshavn in Copenhagen, and passing Østerport Station the visitor will come to Østre Anlæg Park. On its north side, at Stockholmsgade 20, is the Hirschsprung Collection (Hirschsprungske Samling), an art collection bequeathed to the city by Heinrich Hirschsprung. Its principal items are Danish painting and sculpture of the 19th century, including some by the "Skagenmaler", who represented the modern "breakthrough" (1880). The collection has now grown to 600 paintings, 200 sculptures and over 1,000 watercolors.
Address: Stockholmsgade 20, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
State Museum of Art
In the southern part of Copenhagen's Østre Anlæg stands the State Museum of Art (Statens Museum for Kunst), built in 1891-6. It consists of a main building with rooms for paintings and sculpture and an engraving department, as well as an annex for special exhibitions. In the painting collection can be seen works representative of European art from the 13th. to the 18thcentury. In the Italian department are some important works by Titian, Tintoretto and others; the Dutch and Flemish schools are represented by Rubens and Rembrandt. The German collection includes work by Lucas Cranach the Elder and his successors. The museum also owns a collection of Danish Biedermeier painting as well as numerous works from the early part of the 20th century. Eighteenth century Danish artists include Nicolai A. Abildgaard and Jens Juel, while the Golden Age of the early 19th century is represented by C. W. Eckersberg and his pupils. Also worthy of note is a private collection of works by French painters, including Braque and Picasso, which has been donated to the museum. The Engraving Collection, which has been removed from the Royal Library, contains some 100,000 items.
Address: Sølvgade 48-50, DK-1307 Copenhagen, Denmark
Adjoining the Østre Anlæg on the south lies the Botanic Garden (Botanisk Have) which, like other parks, was laid out on the remains of former fortifications. The principal features are the Palm House, the Botanic and Geological Museums, an artificially arranged biotope devoted to the wild plants of Denmark, and an Alpine Garden.
Address: Øster Farimagsgade 2B, DK-1353 Copenhagen, Denmark
A museum featuring the culture and history of Denmark's working class since 1850. Here, one can sample food and living conditions of the working class of the 1950's.
Address: Rømersgade 22, DK-1362 Copenhagen, Denmark
Discover the Geology of Denmark and Greenland through displays of minerals, fossils, rocks and meteorites.
Address: Øster Voldgade 5-7, Denmark
In a park to the east of the Botanic Garden of Copenhagen stands Rosenborg Palace (Rosenborg Slot), built by Christian IV between 1608 and 1634 as a summer palace and used by the Danish Royal Family from the middle of the 18th C. as a spring and autumn residence. In 1833 the palace was opened to the public as a museum. It houses the private collections of the Danish kings, including furniture, paintings, sculptures, etc. In the treasure chamber in the cellar vaults the royal insignia, including the Crown Jewels, are on display. Of particular interest are the Marble Room, a Baroque reception room, and the Knights' Hall with the Coronation Throne which was used from 1871 to 1940. Porcelain is also exhibited, including the famous "Flora Danica" service.
Address: Øster Voldgade 4A, DK-1350 Copenhagen, Denmark
The park adjoining Rosenborg Palace, Kongens Have (or Rosenborg Have), was laid out in 1606 in the reign of Christian IV, and is the oldest park in Copenhagen. Here can be seen many statues, including one of Hans Christian Andersen, surrounded by listening children.
Address: Øster Voldgade 4A, DK-1350 Copenhagen, Denmark
Danish Film Institute
A museum covering the history of film in Denmark with a theatre and reference library.
Address: Gothersgade 55, DK-1120 Copenhagen, Denmark
In the north central area of Copenhagen, Frederiksgade leads from the Marble Church to Amalienborg Palace, the residence of the Queen. It was built by Niels Eigtev about 1750, during the reign of King Frederik V. The spacious octagonal Palace Square is surrounded by four palaces; in the middle of the square stands an equestrian statue of Frederik V (1771). The palace originally provided residences for noble families, including Counts Christian Frederik Levetzau and Adam Gottlob Moltke, Baron Joakim Brockdorff and Counsellor Severin Lovenskold. When Christiansborg Palace was burned down in 1794 the King took over Amalienborg as his residence, and Danish kings continued to use the palace from time to time. Queen Margarethe II and her family today ocupy the upper story of Christian IX Palace (formerly Løvenskjold). The Moltke Palace is used for official purposes. The soldiers of the Royal Guard with their bearskins and blue (on festive occasions red, white and blue) uniforms are a symbol of the city.
Alexander Nevski Church
By following Bredgade from the Marble Church in a northerly direction the visitor will come to the Russian Alexander Nevski Church, with its three gilded domes, and to St Ansgar's Church, the oldest Roman Catholic church in Copenhagen. On the exterior, note the beautiful sculpture of St Ansgar and those of saints above the main door.
Museum of Musical Instruments
This museum features a collection of historical instruments from Europe, a collection of traditional instruments from Europe, Asia, and Africa. It also houses a library and archives.
Address: Åbenrå 30, DK-1124 Copenhagen, Denmark