Qutang Xia Gorge
In the Qutang Xia Gorge, the narrowest of the three gorges, the banks reach a height of between 500 and 700m (1650 and 2300ft) and the mountains as much as 1000-1400m (3300-4600ft). The narrowest spot, known as the ''place of the monk with his head hanging down'', is only 100m/300ft wide.The gorge is 4km/2.5mi from Fennggjie and is about 8km/5mi long. At its entrance the ruins of the City of the White Emperor can be seen on the north bank of the Changjiang. It was given this name in AD 25 when - according to legend - Gongsun Shu, the founder of the town, saw a white mist rise up out of the Bailon (White Dragon) spring, and thereupon named himself the White Emperor.Close by stands a temple with the same name (Baidi Miao), dating originally from the late 7th C. It is famous mainly for its 70 or more stelae (inscribed pillars) from the Sui period (581-618) and the statues in the main hall (Mingliang Dian) of Liu Bei, Zhuge Liang, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, who lived in the time of the Three Kingdoms (220-280). Shortly before his death Liu Bei, ruler of the state of Shu, named his chancellor Zhuge Liang as his successor. The temple was built as a memorial to this act of confidence and trust. Guan Yu and Zhang Fei were famous generals who served with glory under Liu Bei.Near the Fengxiang Xia the visitor should note the wooden coffins protruding from a rock. In ancient times the inhabitants of Sichuan used to safeguard the coffins of their deceased relatives by placing them in natural crevices or hollows in the rock or on massive wooden beams anchored in stone.