Kashgar Tourist Attractions
The oasis town of Kashgar (also Kaxgar, Chin. Kashi) lies on the old Silk Road in the west of the autonomous region of Xinjiang, at 75°58'E and 39°35'N.It is about 1000km/620mi from Ürümqi, the capital of the region.Kashgar, the most westerly town in China, is predominantly inhabited by Uigurs and is heavily influenced by Islam. The traditional craftwork includes carpets, embroidery and musical instruments.Kashgar was founded over 2100 years ago by Huns, Indoscyths, Uigurs and other ethnic groups. With the establishment of the Silk Road and the formation of a municipal administration under the Western Han dynasty (206 BC-AD 8), the settlement underwent considerable development. At the time of the Tang dynasty (618-907) it was also used as a military base.
Grottoes of the Three Immortals
The Grottoes of the Three Immortals (Sanxian Dong) date from the Eastern Han period (25-220) and lie 10km/6mi to the north of the town, on the slopes of a steep hill. Each one of the three long interlinking caves is divided into a front and rear section. A badly damaged Buddha statue is kept in the rear section of the middle cave. On the walls of the left-hand cave there are some 70 likenesses of Buddha, dating back 1700 years. One of the Buddhas on the rear wall is depicted with a bare back - an unusual phenomenon in the wall paintings of that period.
Tomb of Abakh Hoja
The Tomb of Abakh Hoja (Aba Heijia Mu), a typical 17th C Islamic monumental tomb which was completely restored in 1807, lies on the eastern edge of the town. It is almost completely composed of green ceramic tiles. The entrance is decorated with geometric patterns, the walls with stuccoed bas-reliefs. Up to 50 years ago the domed roof was crowned by a massive gold figure weighing 1.5kg/3lb. In the interior 72 members of the Abakh Hoja family are interred, their ancestor being an Islamic saint of the 17th C.
Id Kah Mosque
The Id Kah Mosque (Aitiga Qingzhensi), the largest in Xinjiang, situated on the square of the same name in the center of the town, can accommodate up to 8000 worshippers and has an area of 1ha/12,000sq.yd. It was built in 1798, since when it has been restored and extended several times. The roof, which is lavishly decorated with floral motifs, is supported by 140 green pillars with sculptured ornamentation. Nearby there is a traditional and very characteristic bazaar (''bazha'').
Every Sunday a market is held on the northeast edge of the town. Local products of every conceivable kind are on sale here: carpets, hats, jewelry, Uigur knives and even donkeys and horses. With an average of 150,000 visitors it is thought to be the largest open-air market in the world.
The sparse remains of the town of Hanoi, dating from the Tang era (618-907), are to be found 30km/19mi northeast of Kashgar.
Kashgar Pictures View All