Haikou Tourist Attractions
Haikou was known as a port back in the Song period (960-1279). Between 1911 and 1926 it rapidly grew into a modern town.Today Haikou, the capital of Hainan, is the political, economic and cultural center of Hainan province as well as being a major port and traffic hub.
Temple of the Su Shi (Monastery of the Golden Millet)
Near the Temple of the Five Dignataries stands the Temple of Su Shi (Sugong Ci), which was built in 1617, on the foundations of the Monastery of the Golden Millet (Jinsu An), in memory of the famous poet Su Shi, who spent some time here in 1097.The two fountains which the poet Su Shi caused to be built here are still standing. They are called the Fountain of the Cleansing of the Heart (Xixin Quan) and the Fountain of the Floating Millet (Fusu Quan).
Temple of the Five Dignataries
The Temple of the Five Dignataries (Wugong Ci) on the southern edge of the town was built in 1889 in memory of five statesmen from the Tang and Song period (618-1279) who had been banished to Hainan Island. On a stone tablet in front of the temple visitors can see the relevant legend written by the Song Emperor Huizong (1082-1135), who was famous as a calligrapher.
Temple of the Two Dignitaries
The Temple of the Two Dignataries (Ergong Ci) stands on the same site as the Temple of the Five Dignataries. The dignitaries referred to are Hai Rui, a minister during the Ming dynasty (1368-1644), and his contemporary, the philosopher Qui Xun. Both were born near Haikou.
There are a few attractions to be seen in the Haikou surrounding area.
Tomb of Hai Rui
The Tomb of Hai Rui (Hai Rui Mu) lies close to the suburb of Binya near Haikou. In 1566 Hai Rui (1514-87), a minister at the Ming court, was bold enough to accuse the Emperor of neglecting affairs of state and devoting too much of his time to Taoism. This foolhardy act resulted in several years imprisonment. Shortly after his release he was again stripped of all office because he criticized a number of ministers and generals.The harsh criticism directed by Mao Zedong against Wu Hans' play ''The Removal from Office of Hai Rui'' marked the beginning of the Cultural Revolution (1966-76).
Qiongtai Shuyuan Academy
Built in 1710, Qiongtai Shuyuan Academy, in the small town of Qiongshan just south of Haikou, originally comprised several buildings. Today, however, only the Red Building (Hong Lou) remains; it houses a teacher training establishment.