Michigan Avenue S of the Chicago River, Chicago
Probably one of the most attractive boulevards in America, Michigan Avenue is flanked on the east by Grant Park and the The Art Institute and on the west by a series of fine architecture. It is the eastern edge of the loop although the actual transit structure is a block west on Wabash. Michigan Avenue splits between North and South designations at Madison Street.
Michigan Avenue S of the Chicago River Map
The Art Institute of Chicago is a world renowned museum and top tourist attraction in the city. Collections cover a broad time period, from various media, and includes over 300,000 artworks.
Millennium Park is located in downtown Chicago bordered by Michigan Avenue to the west, Columbus Drive to the east, Randolph Street to the North and Monroe Street to the South. The main features of Millennium Park include Jay Pritzker Pavilion, an outdoor concert venue; the interactive Crown Fountain; Lurie Garden and Cloud Gate sculpture on the AT&T Plaza.
The Auditorium Building, designed by Dankmar Adler and Louis H. Sullivan and built between 1887-89, now houses the private Roosevelt University (founded 1945; 6,000 students), the O'Malley Theater and the Ganz Recital Hall.The building was created to combine commercial and recreational space. It originally held a hotel, offices and the famous theater, still known for its excellent acoustics. Four wide, rounded arches span the width of the theater, which is lavishly decorated with gold-leafed, plaster reliefs. The structure was built using a mix of granite and limestone and employs a cast-iron interior frame with wrought-iron trusses.
333 N Michigan Avenue Building
South-west of the NBC Building, beyond the Chicago River, is the 35-storey, 333 N Michigan Avenue Building (1928), on the site of Fort Dearborn. Regarded at the time of its erection as an ultra-modern building, it is now protected as a historic monument.The last built of four original buildings at the Michigan Avenue Bridge. It resembles a slim gatepost when seen at length from N Michigan Avenue. Built with granite and limestone, it reflects the Art Deco of its time.
Carbide and Carbon Building
The Carbide and Carbon Building is a dark green, black and gold leaf colored art-deco building designed by Daniel and Hubert Burnham, sons of the noted architect and city planner Daniel H. Burnham. The 38-story building was completed in 1929.The lobby of the Carbide and Carbon Building also features bronzework and black marble.
Chicago Cultural Center (former Public Library)
This 1897 building was the former Central Building of the Chicago Public Library. It is distinguished by Tiffany glass, elaborate mosaics and Italian marble. The Chicago Cultural Center hosts a regular program of special events and exhibits such as films, lectures, and concerts. It is managed by the Department of Cultural Affairs.
Gage Group consists of three buildings that demonstrate two different approaches to the Chicago School style. They were built in 1899 by Holabird & Roche for the millinery firms of Keith, Gage and Ascher. Number 18 has a flowery façade designed by Louis Sullivan.
Hellenic Museum & Cultural Center
The permanent exhibits at the Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center explore the Greek experience in America. There are displays on Greek immigration, art and culture. The Center also hosts a regular program of lectures and educational activities to assist in unifying the Greek community.
People's Gas Building
While this 1910 highrise, People's Gas Building, has a steel frame characteristic of the Chicago style, it's facade has older style small windows. It's focus are the two-story columns near the top, capped with a row of lions. The building is by D.H. Burnham & Co.
150 N Michigan Avenue
Towering over the Chicago Public Library, this 1984 highrise with bands of glass and white is most recognized for the beveled angle of its roof, which forms a diamond-shaped skylight over 10 stories. The designer is A. Epstein & Sons.
London Guarantee Building
Alfred Schuler built this 22-storey limestone building for the London Guarantee and Accident Company in 1922. The Beaux Arts-style building is located on the site of Fort Dearborn from 1803-1856.
Railway Exchange Building (Santa Fe Building)
This 1904 highrise, the Railway Exchange Building, was designed by D.H. Burnham & Co. The exterior is faced with whitish terra-cotta and incorporates neoclassical ornamentation. Of note is the brasswork around the doors.
University Club Building
The University Club of Chicago was established in 1889 by students wanting a place to pursue intellectual pursuits. The Monroe building was designed and completed in 1908 by Holabird and Roche. Its gabled roof has Gothic gargoyles and spires.
Fine Arts Building
The Monroe building was designed in 1912 by Holabird and Roche. Its gabled roof caps Gothic terra-cotta ornamentation.