Temple of the Six Banyan Trees, Canton Liurong Si
The temple site, situated in Chaoyang Beilu Street in the old part of the city, was built in AD 537 on the orders of the provincial governor of the time, Xiao Yu, in order to house one of Buddha's bones. It is named after the six banyan trees which formerly stood in the courtyard and to which the poet Su Dongpo dedicated a piece of writing.
Opening hours: 8am-5pm
The original floral pagoda, dating from 537, burned down in the 10th C and was reconstructed in its present form in 1097 from a drawing of the original building. During the restoration work of 1980 some tiles were discovered with inscriptions which probably date from the Song era. The top of the 57m/187ft high pagoda, which can ascended by a flight of steps, is crowned by a richly decorated bronze column weighing 5 tonnes.
Hall of the Goddess of Mercy
The Hall of the Goddess of Mercy (Guanxin Dian) dates from 1663. Inside it a 4m/13ft high 5 tonne bronze sculpture is housed. It represents Guanyin, the Chinese goddess of love.
Hall of the Sixth Patriarch
In the Hall of the Sixth Patriarch (Liuzu Tang) the visitor is able to admire a bronze statue of the monk Huineng, the founder of the Southern School of Chan (Zen) Buddhism. The statue was cast in the Song period (960-1279).
Temple of the Six Banyan Trees Pictures
Map of Canton Attractions