Prince Albert, Saskatchewan Tourist Attractions
Prince Albert, a lively town on the North Saskatchewan River, is an important center for the timber and farming areas of northern Saskatchewan. It is also the gateway to the Prince Albert National Park.
Prince Albert Historical Museum
Opened in 1932 in the Old Church/School building in Kinsmen Park, and in 1977 at the present site in the old Fire Hall, (view over the river) the Historical Museum provides an interesting account of the history of the locality and the town. Artefacts emphasize the events, people, and living styles of early Prince Albert, particularly from 1866 through the Second World War.Housed in the basement of the Prince Albert Historical Museum, the Archives contain in excess of 12,000 documents, maps, directories, yearbooks, and historical books and reports, as well as 15,000 - 20,000 photographs and negatives, all relating to the history of Prince Albert and area.
Diefenbaker House in Prince Albert commemorates the close links between Canadian Premier John Diefenbaker and the town, which was his constituency, telling his life story through photographs and other memorabilia.The House was donated by the Honorable John G. Diefenbaker and opened as a Museum in 1983. Several of the pieces on display originally belonged to Sir John A. MacDonald. The majority of the furniture and artifacts are from the Diefenbaker Centre in Saskatoon, and reflect the styles of the 1960's.
Rotary Museum of Police and Corrections
The Rotary Museum of Police and Corrections in Prince Albert pays tribute to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Prince Albert City Police, along with the Federal Penitentiary and Corrections facilities within the community of Prince Albert. Uniforms, weapons and various items used as discipline methods at the Federal Penitentiary are on display.The building originally had been the North West mounted Police guard room for the barracks from about 1888 to 1934 on the original site of F Division Headquarters at about 20th Street and 8th Avenue West.
Evolution of Education Museum
The Evolution of Education Museum is housed in a one-room schoolhouse. The original structure was built in 1916 and operated here until 1963. Today school is furnished as it would have been during the first half of the 20th C with school desks, a library, an old wood stove, slate boards, the strap, gopher tails and sports equipment once used by school children in pioneer days.
Lund Wildlife Exhibit
The Lund Wildlife Exhibit on River Street, west of the river, has an outstanding collection of North American wildlife.Specimens are exhibited in their natural settings.