South Side of the Town, Cádiz
Along Cádiz's southern sea-wall extends a long avenue, the Campo del Sur. A little way along this, on the left, is a former Capuchin convent, now a psychiatric hospital. In the conventual church of Santa Catalina (begun 1639; entrance through courtyard), on the high altar, is Murillo's last work, the ''Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine''. While painting this he fell from the scaffolding and died of his injuries in Seville on April third 1682. The church also has an early work of his.
Walking along the Campo del Sur, with views of the towering silhouette of Cádiz, we reach the New Cathedral, the main front of which faces the south side of the Plaza de Pio XII. Building began in 1722 by Vincente de Acero but was not completed until 1838.
New Cathedral - Interior
The cathedral interior of the New Cathedral in Cádiz, with lateral aisles, is 85m/279ft long and 60m/197ft wide, with massive pillars and a magnificent dome over the crossing, 52m/171ft high. The choir has fine 18th century stalls by Pedro Duque Cornejo; the crypt contains the tombs of various bishops and of the composer Manuel de Falla (1876-1946), a native of Cádiz.
New Cathedral - Museum
In Cádiz there is an interesting museum in the New Cathedral containing the cathedral treasury, including a silver monstrance 4m/13ft high, the custodia del millón, which is said to be set with a million precious stones. There are also a number of valuable pictures, including works by Alonso Cano and Murillo.
Adjoining the New Cathedral in Cádiz is the church of El Segrario, the Old Cathedral, which was originally built in the 13th century but after its destruction in 1596 was rebuilt in 1602 in Renaissance style. It contains wall paintings and has a richly decorated high altar by Saavedra (c. 1650).
South Side of the Town Pictures
Map of Cadiz Attractions
More Cadiz, Spain Attractions
Popular Destinations Nearby