Outer Ring, Budapest Nagy körut
The 4km (2 1/2mi) long Outer Ring (Nagy körut) starts at the east end of Margaret Bridge in the north and then continues in a semi-circle, almost parallel to the Inner Ring, around the city of Pest to the east end of Petofi Bridge. The Ring, which was opened to traffic in 1896 and along which can be seen many imposing buildings dating from the end of the last century, follows the course of an arm of the Danube which has been filled in although, in 1867, proposals had been put forward to make it navigable for ships.
Outer Ring Map
Nyugati tér (formerly Marx tér), which from 1978 was redesigned and extended at considerable expense, is also the busy forecourt of the West Station (Nyugati pályaudvar), a protected building which was erected in the 1870s by the Parisian firm of Eiffel. The first trains on Hungarian territory were run in 1846 from this site.Opposite the station stands the famous "Skala" department store, around which in recent years "gray" and "black" market trading has developed to a degree unequalled elsewhere.
Museum of the Ambulance Services
The development of rescue operation techniques during the 100 year history of the Hungarian ambulance service is displayed including the portable iron lung used at the time when poliomyelitis was endemic.
WestEnd City Center
The WestEnd City Center has over 400 shops, developed by Canada's TrizecHahn corporation, the architecture is both futuristic and imposing. The Hilton WestEnd Hotel and a pleasant roof garden are incorporated into the center.
St Stephen's Ring
Szent István körút is the northernmost sector of the Outer Ring. It begins at Jászai Mari tér, named after Mari Jászai, one of the greatest European actresses of her time (1850-1926). The showpiece of this section of the Ring is the Theatre of Comedy (Vigszinház No. 14); built in the 1890s to plans by the Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer, it has been rebuilt after suffering severe damage in the Second World War.
Erzsébet körút (Elisabeth Ring) forms part of the Outer Ring to the southeast. Along it will be found such interesting buildings as the Hotel Royal, built in the 1890s by the architect Ray, Madách Theatre (Madách Színház; Nos. 29-33) with wall mosaics by Eszter Mattioni, and the Café New York.
Café New York (formerly Café Hungária)
The Café New York (formerly Café Hungária), a favorite rendezvous of writers, publishers and various well-known personalities during the first thirty years of this century, is on the ground floor of the Palais New York built by A. Hauszmann, K. Giergl and F. Korb. The Neo-Renaissance building was severely damaged during the Second World War but has been restored. The Late Eclectic interior architecture is much admired.
József körút (Joseph Ring) now continues southwards through the suburb of Joseph Town. At József körút 27 is the only seminary for rabbis in eastern Europe; it contains one of largest libraries of Middle Eastern studies. Attached to the seminary is a Jewish grammar school.
Joseph Town Parish Church
The imposing Joseph Town Parish Church with its twin towers was built at the end of the 18th C in Late Baroque style to plans by J. Thalherr. Since then it has been altered on several occasions. Some fine examples of ecclesiastical art include the High Altar by József Hild and the reredos, the "Apotheosis of St Joseph", by the famous Viennese painter Leopold Kupelweiser. On the façade, between the twin towers, can be seen a statue of St Joseph by L. Dunaiszky.In front of the church stands a monument by Péter Pázmány to the Bishop of Esztergom and founder of the University of Tyrnau, the precursor of the University of Budapest.On the other side of Baross utca lies Horváth tér, named after the Catholic Bishop and Minister of Culture of 1849. His memorial is the work of A. Domján (1948).
Blaha Lujza tér
This square, situated where the Outer Ring crosses Rákóczi út, is named after the famous Hungarian actress Lujza Blaha (1850-1926), who had great success in the National Theatre which was formerly situated here.
Terz körút (Theresa Ring) leads southeast from West Station to the "Octagon", with its unique Neo-Renaissance buildings. Here the Outer Ring is crossed by the boulevard known as Andrássy út.
Batthyány Palace, built by Alajos Hauszmann in 1884 for Count Batthyány, is worthy of note; it is an exact copy of the Palazzo Strozzi in Florence.