Zehlendorf Ward, Berlin
In Zehlendorf ward is the district of Dahlem, Wannsee and Grunewald.
The low modern building of the Brücke Museum in the Grunewald of Berlin's Zehlendorf district was built in 1967 by Werner Düttmann, architect of the Academy of Arts in the Tiergarten, as a gallery and archive for the works of the group of Expressionist painters founded in Dresden in 1905 and known as "Die Brücke" ("The Bridge"). The initiative for the establishment of the museum came from the Berlin artist Karl Schmidt-Rottluff, one of the founders of the group, who presented a large number of his works. Among other members of the group represented in the museum by paintings, water colors, drawings and sculptures are Erich Heckel, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Otto Mueller and Max Pechstein. The museum also has works by other painters, including Otto Herbig, Max Kaus, Emil Nolde and Emy Röder, who had stylistic or personal affinities with "Die Brücke."
The Free University of Berlin was established in 1948 and held the title of largest German university until downsizing in the 1990's. The university received recognition in 2007 as an "elite university".
The practice driving track known as Avus (from the initials of the German term Automobil- Verkehrs-und Übungstrasse) in Berlin's Grunewald was the first German car- racing circuit, opened in 1921. It consists of two parallel straight stretches some 9km/5.5mi long running through the Grunewald and ending at Nikolassee. In 1926 the German Grand Prix was held here for the first time. In 1937 Bernd Rosemeyer established the circuit record of 276.4kmph/171.7 mph. in an Auto Union, and Rudolf Caracciola achieved a maximum speed of 400kmph/250 mph in a Mercedes. Now, the Avus is mainly of importance as the most important exit road from Berlin to the southwest, leading to the Grunewald, the Wannsee and Potsdam. Its notorious northern bend was straightened out in 1967. It is no longer used for international Formula I races, but sports car races are still held here.
The 230 m/755ft high Telecommunications Tower in Berlin's Zehlendorf district was erected in 1962. It stands in grounds of 10,000 sq.m/11,000 sq.yd on the Schäferberg (103 m/338ft), between the Wannsee and Glienicke Palace. It belongs to a directional radio station, and has large dish aerials, a steel lattice tower 45 m/148ft high and two parabolic aerials 10 m/33ft in diameter. The control buildings are nearby. The tower has three xenon lamps which with the help of rotating lenses can be seen 200km/125mi away. The installation carries Berlin's telecommunications traffic, linking up with other stations at Torfhaus in the Harz and Höhbeck on the Elbe. These stations also carry the second and third television channels. The tower is not open to the public.
Museum Village of Düppel (Open Air Museum)
The Museum Village of Düppel (Open Air Museum) lies in the southwest of Zehlendorf, just south of Clauerstrasse. Above the original archaeological site at Machnower Fenn, the citizens of Berlin reconstructed an early 13th C. medieval settlement complete with houses, storage sheds and workshops (smithy, shoemaker's shop, pottery). There are regular demonstrations of the various skills, such as bread baking, pottery, weaving and carving.
This small cemetery in Berlin's Zehlendorf district, adjoining the Church of Nikolassee, contains the grave of Axel Springer, the famous publisher who died in 1985.
Map of Berlin Attractions