Palace Bridge Unter den Linden - Schlossbrücke
At the eastern end of Unter den Linden in Berlin the Schlossbrücke, built by K. F. Schinkel in 1822-24, passes over a western branch of the Spree known as the Kupfergraben (Copper Mine). Its predecessor was a 16th C. wooden bridge, named the "Bridge of Dogs" because hunters and their dogs assembled here before setting out to hunt wild animals around the city. During the GDR period the bridge was called Marx-Engels Bridge. Its supporting pillars are decorated with eight groups of figures in white Carrara marble, created between 1845-57 by eight sculptors from designs by Schinkel.Going towards Lustgarten visitors will see the following groups of figures:Left-hand side: the goddess Nike supporting a wounded warrior (Ludwig Wichmann, pre-1857); retreat in war, Minerva by the side of the warrior (Albert Wolff, 1853); a youth attacking the enemy, protected by Athene at his side (Gustav Bläser, 1854); Iris, carrying the fallen hero to Mount Olympus (August Wredow, 1841-57). Right-hand side: Nike instructs the boy in heroic history (Emil Wolff, 1847); Pallas Athene teaches the boy the art of spear-throwing (Hermann Schievelbein, 1853); Athene arms the warrior for his first battle (Heinrich Möller, 1846-50); Nike crowns the warrior (Friedrich Drake, 1857). As well as the figures, the beautiful wrought-iron railings are worth seeing (faithfully reconstructed in 1960); the lanterns on the bridge are modeled on old ones.
Palace Bridge Pictures
Map of Berlin Attractions