Germany's first Museum of Applied Art was founded in 1867. From 1921-44 it was housed in the Berlin City Palace and after the Second World War a part was moved to the Palace at Köpenick. The remainder was housed provisionally in Charlottenburg Palace until the new museum in a purpose-built building in the Culture Forum at Kemperplatz was finally declared open in May, 1985.
Museum of Applied Art Map
Tiergartnerstrasse 6, D-10785 Berlin, Germany
10am-6pm; Sun: 11am-6pm; Sat: 11am-6pm; Closed: Mon
Always closed on: May Day / Labor Day (May 1)
Entrance fee in EUR:
Adult €3.00, Concession or reduced rate €1.50
Guides: Guided tour available as optional extra.
This new museum now displays exhibits from all spheres of European applied art, from the early Middle Ages to the present day. Exhibited on four floors are ceramics, porcelain, glass, bronzes, gold enamel and work by Byzantine goldsmiths, silver vessels, furniture, clocks, textiles, embroidery, decorative carpets, Art Nouveau and Art Deco work, historicism, industrial design, modern skilled craft and much more. Particular mention should be made of the Guelph Treasure (44 objects, mainly relics, portable altars and crucifixes from the 11th and 12th C., which once formed part of the treasures of the Cathedral of St Blasius in Brunswick); the Lüneberg municipal silver (15th/16th C.); the treasure from the former Dionysian Bequest from Enger in Herford (including the "Burse Reliquiary," probably a christening present from Charles the Great to the Saxon Duke Widukind, dating from the end of the eighth C.); a collection of Spanish and Italian majolica (16th C.); the Imperial Goblet by Wenzel Jamnitzer (1564); the Cosmic Dish by Jonas Silber (1589); a convertible table by Abraham Roentgen (18th C.); overlay glass by Emile Gallé (19th C.); and an exhibition of contemporary product design.