The Waasland along the old Scheldt is a pleasant stretch of country crossed by canals and typical rows of poplar trees. Recently more modern industries have joined the old-established agricultural pursuits (including asparagus), traditional brickwork and cloth manufacturers.
The parish of Beveren lies in the center of the Waasland about 10km/6miles east of Sint-Niklaas. This area with its little undulating fields, many lakes and poplar trees is a favorite place for walking.
In the Grote Markt stands the Sint-Martinuskerk (ca.1200), of which only the Late-Romanesque crossing-tower remains of the original building phase. The other parts of the church were added in the 15th C. (nave) and the 16th C. (choir). The interesting interior of the church has a high altar by Fayd'herbe (1622). Around 1840 the three-aisled nave was extended by two additional aisles.
Kasteel Cortewalle, a fine moated castle, dates from about 1600. The building in Flemish Renaissance style will serve after restoration as a culture center and museum. Inside can be found 19th C. furniture and pictures.
Hof Ter Saksen
The Hof Ter Saksen, now a ruined château was built in 1770 in a fine park. The moated castle Oud Geestelijk Hof or Hof Ter Welle (16th/17th C.) is now used as an orphanage.
Temse, 5km/3miles south of Sint-Niklaas on the Scheldt, is known for its shipbuilding. The town was once a center of the cloth industry, particularly sail-cloth.
Reko Boat Trips
Lokeren lies 16km/10miles from Sint-Niklaas on the Durme. The most important branch of industry in the town is textiles, especially the production of linen.Lokeren has a local history museum, several art galleries and a 49-bell carillon, endowed to the city in 1956.
Some typically fine Flemish houses of the 17th and 18th C. flank the Grote Markt; the elegant Stadhuis in Flemish Roccoco style was designed by David t'Kindt, the architect from Ghent.
The most striking feature of Sint-Laurentiuskerk is its white tower crowned by a dome. The church dates from the 16th and 17th C. and was destroyed in 1719 by fire. The reconstruction was in Baroque style. From this time dates the beautiful pulpit by the Mechelen artist Verhaegen.Also noteworthy are the confessionals (1655) and the Late-Gothic font.
The Stedelijk Museum (municipal museum) in the old cloth hall on the Grote Kaai exhibits pre- historic finds, furniture and folk art.