Little Barcelona Barceloneta
The district of Barceloneta ("Little Barcelona") extends to the northeast of the harbor basin, which separates it from the sea. It was built from 1753 onwards and was laid out with a regular ground plan of intersecting streets crossing one another at straight angles - a typical Baroque arrangement. Philip V's victory over the Catalans (1714) and the building of the Citadel had already taken place. Barceloneta was intended to provide new dwellings for those citizens who hitherto had lived on the site of the Citadel. Even today Barceloneta is above all others the area of the city with a pronounced maritime character; here is the Museu Marítim and a number of good fish restaurants.
Little Barcelona Map
Transit: Metro: Barceloneta.
On the Plaça de la Barceloneta in Barcelona stands the Church of Sant Miquel del Port, which dates from the district's beginnings and which, in the arrangement of its floor space and facades, has strong affinities with the Italian Baroque style. To the right of the church facade is the house where Ferdinand de Lesseps lived in 1858 (memorial plaque).
The wide Passeig Marítim runs along Barceloneta's seashore. Stretching out to the northeast, the beach, with its broad expanses of fine sand, is a very popular place for relaxation and recreation. Care is taken to maintain the quality of the water at a high level, despite the beach's proximity to the city and its industrial installations.
Parc de Mar
The Parc de Mar, a spacious area of land in the northeast corner of Barceloneta, is where the Olympic Village, with its pair of distinctive high rise towers, has been built. The yachting harbor of Nova Icaria is also located there.
Parc de Mar Olympic Sites
The large Olympic Village (accommodation for 15,000 people), with two blocks of high-rise flats (at 136m/436ft Barcelona's tallest buildings), the Nova Icária Marina, Estacío del Nord (for table tennis) and a hall for badminton, has been newly built on some former industrial land north of the port.
Passeig Joan de Borbó Comte de Barcelona
The Passeig Joan de Borbó Comte de Barcelona (formerly Passeig Nacional), which separates Barceloneta from the rest of the port area, leads from the Moll de Barceloneta southwards to the Torre de San Sebastián, a 96m/315ft high steel pylon which is the terminus for the harbor cable car from Montjuïc.
Pla del Palau
The square adjoining the Stock Exchange to the north (Pla del Palau) is the focal point of Barcelona's maritime trade. Around it are grouped numerous offices and commercial and administrative buildings, including the Govern Civil (civil administration).
The Stock Exchange (Catalan: Llotja) was founded in the 14th C. when the city was at its economic zenith. Nothing has remained of the first building, which was erected close to the shore. The present-day Stock Exchange was built between 1380 and 1392 in the Late Gothic style, but was then extended and altered in the 15th, 16th and 18th C., the last such additions being in Classical forms which characterize the present-day exterior of the building. Until a few years ago the Academy of Art (Escola de Belles Arts) was also situated here.
Always closed on: Our Lady of Mercy Celebrations - Spain (Sep 24), Catalunya Day - Spain (Sep 11)
Transit: Metro: Barceloneta.
Stock Exchange - Gothic Room
The only part of the Stock Exchange which has not been changed since its inception is the elegant Gothic Room, a three-aisled room divided by arches resting on slender columns, in which even today the business of the Stock Exchange is still conducted. Also of note are the staircase with its allegories of industry and trade and the purely Classical rooms of the Junta de Comerç (chamber of trade) on the upper floor.