Freeport, Bahamas Tourist Attractions
Freeport & its suburb of Lucaya form the second largest town in the Bahamas. The development of the town was spurred in 1955 by American businessman Wallace Groves. It is now not only an important resort, but an industrial center.The center of town is Ranfurly Circus where the East and West Sunrise Highways, the Mall roads converge. Caravel Beach juts into the southeast quadrant defined by this intersection and Freeport is bounded on the south by Xanadu Beach. The east-west highway has been diverted to the north around this hub to allow the resort to connect to the golf course and beach without traffic.The Mall north from Ranfurly Circus to the business quarter of town is Freeport's main street. Notable modern office buildings include the Kipling Buildings, the Radio Tower and Post Office. All government buildings are painted in flamingo pink after the national bird of the country.Several interesting churches in Freeport include the Baptist church on the eastern edge of town, St Paul's Methodist church in northern Freeport and the Roman Catholic church on East Sunrise Highway.
International Bazaar & Straw Market
The International Bazaar has numerous shops housed in buildings designed to replicate everything from Chinese Temples to Mexican casas. Unfortunately, in most cases the upscale shopping and dining of yesteryear has dipped to the trinket level as the island's action moved to Port Lucaya.The Straw Market is held on the International Bazaar grounds and is a good place to find woven straw articles and crafts from all over the Bahamas.
Those who knew Ranfurly Circus in its Moorish-style building built in the 1960s will find a totally rebuilt facility.The refurbishing of the hotel (formerly Bahamas Princess Resort) was necessitated because of the shift of the center of tourism to Port Lucaya.