Richmond is one of the oldest towns in Tasmania and is today a good physical reminder of the colonial period. It is home to Australia's oldest bridge, several old churches, and many other fine buildings.
The historic township of Pontville (pop. 900) was founded in 1830 as a bridgehead on the Jordan River. Many of its old buildings are under statutory protection. For the purposes of restoration work two abandoned sandstone quarries were reopened. The neo-Romanesque St Mark's Church (Anglican) was built by James Blackburn in 1841. Behind the church is the Sheiling, formerly the police station (1819). The old post office, originally the officers' mess, dates from around 1824. The five little houses in the Row, beside the bridge of 1824, were built about the same time for soldiers guarding the convicts.
To the west of Hobart is the massive presence of Mount Wellington (1270m). A narrow mountain road winds its way up from the Huon Highway to the summit (12km), from which there are breathtaking views over Hobart, the Derwent valley and the D'Entrecasteaux Channel. In the pavilion on the top is a display of old photographs of Hobart and Mount Wellington. Safe boardways lead to the very edge of the precipitous escarpment.
From Wrest Point Nelson Road runs south, with many bends, up Mount Nelson (340m). Although it is small compared with Mount Wellington, it affords a splendid panoramic view of Hobart, its harbor and the mouth of the Derwent. The old signal station is now occupied by a tearoom.
Taroona is a select old residential district with beautiful beaches and views of the Derwent. The Shot Tower, built by convict labor, was used to produce perfectly rounded lead shot; it is now occupied by a small museum and an art gallery.
In the suburb of Glenorchy, there are a number of old settlers' houses, including Pitts Farm (1806), Lowestoft and Summerholme. Nearby is the factory of the Electrolytic Zinc Company, which can be visited. In Anfield Street is the Tasmanian Transport Museum.
The main attractions of Claremont are the Cadbury-Schweppes chocolate factory and Alpenrail, a large model railroad layout at 82 Abbotsfield Road W.
In Granton there are two relics of the convict colony, the Old Watch House (Main Road), now a filling station, with the smallest prison cell in Australia (50cm square, 2m high), and the Black Snake Inn (1833).
At the most important crossing of the Derwent River is Bridgewater (pop. 8700), once a considerable market town but in recent years a residential suburb of Hobart, with a rapidly increasing population.The 1.3km long causeway over the Derwent was built in the early 1830s by 200 convicts. The first bridge was opened in 1849; the present one dates from 1946.
Risdon Cove, Australia
From the Goodwood district the Bowen Bridge crosses the Derwent to Risdon Cove, where the first settlement - later moved south to Sullivan Cove on the other side of the river - was established. On the Risdon Cove Historic Site is an interesting exhibition on the history of the settlement.
The Tasman Bridge leads from Hobart to the suburb of Bellerive, on the east bank of the Derwent. On Kangaroo Bluff is an old fort from which there is a fine panoramic view of Hobart against the mighty backdrop of Mount Wellington. There are a number of good bathing beaches round Bellerive.
Rokeby (pop. 3500) was founded in 1809. Here the settlers grew their first wheat and harvested their first apples. Two interesting old buildings are St Matthew's Church and the old Courthouse. Rokeby lies on the way to the water sports center of South Arm, 20km further south. Clifton Beach, 10km south, is popular with surfers.
Sorell (pop. 3200) was founded in 1821 and named after a former governor of Tasmania. This area provided grain not only for Tasmania but at certain times also for New South Wales, which threatened to go hungry because of its less productive agriculture. Many Hobart families have holiday homes on the extensive sweep of coast between Carlton and Dodges Ferry. A notable landmark in Sorell is the neo-Romanesque Scots Uniting Church (1842). The 3.3km long causeway on the Hobart-Port Arthur road was completed in 1872 after eight years' work.
The Hobart suburb of Wrest Point lies in Sandy Bay and features a number of attractions.
Wrest Point opened in 1973. it contains a luxury hotel with a congress center and a night club.
Tudor Court Model Village
Tudor Court is a faithful replica of an English village.
University of Tasmania
The University of Tasmania was founded 1890.
The suburb of Kingston (pop. 11,000) has an excellent tourist infrastructure. The beaches round Kingston and further south (Blackmans Bay, Tinderbox, Howden) are ideal for water sports. The Kingston Beach Regatta is held in January. The neighboring coasts are very beautiful.
Australian Antarctic Division
The headquarters of Australia's Antarctic Division is an outstation of the Department of Science and Technology which carries out Antarctic research. There is an exhibition explaining and illustrating the work of the station.
Kettering (pop. 320) is in the center of a large fruit-growing area. From here there is a ferry over the D'Entrecasteaux Channel to Bruny Island.
Around the village of Lymington visitors may, if they are very lucky, find agates.
Map of Hobart Attractions
More Hobart Attractions
Popular Destinations Nearby