Geraldton Tourist Attractions
Geraldton (pop. 21,720) was founded in 1849 and named Gerald Town after the then governor of Western Australia, Charles Fitzgerald. It developed into the most important port and commercial center in the mid-west (storage and shipment of wheat and mineral sands).With its warm and sunny climate, Geraldton is a popular holiday resort well-equipped to cater for visitors. The beautiful coasts and offshore islands offer excellent conditions for water sports and fishing.St Francis Xavier Cathedral (corner of Maitland and Cathedral Streets), in pseudo-Byzantine style, was built between 1916 and 1938. The Maritime Museum in Marine Terrace displays equipment from 17th C. Dutch vessels wrecked off the coast, particularly the Batavia and the Zuytdorp. The Geraldton Region Museum is also in Marine Terrace and displays local artifacts. The Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage in Chapman Road houses the Geraldton Historical Society. Other notable buildings are the Cultural Trust Library, in the old railroad station of 1897, and the lighthouse on Point Moore (Willcock Drive).Geraldton is the base of a large lobster-fishing fleet and during the fishing season (mid-November to end of June), the landing and processing of the huge catches can be watched on Fisherman's Wharf.
The area surrounding Geraldton features a number of attractions.
Greenough (pop. under 200) was founded in the mid-19th C but soon abandoned when wheat-farming in the 'front flats' proved unproductive. Some of the old buildings have been restored and opened to the public by the National Trust.
The fishing port of Dongara (pop. 1500) is on a beautiful stretch of coast lined by rocks and reefs, with fine beaches drawing many visitors.